When I did the Knitting and Crochet blogging week, I wrote about my great crafting imbalance. I knit, and that’s about it. Well mostly it… just occasionally (if there is enough time and a good enough reason) I’ll try and make something else. Cards are the most frequent things I make after knitting but recently I really pushed the boat out and tried something I’ve not done for a very long time… painting.
Made especially for my goddaughter as a christening present, and inspired by lots of the button tree pictures on Pinterest and other places, this picture collection is hoped to be something she can grow up with. I’m really pleased with how these turned out, and they even managed to make it to her house safely. It definitely felt like a labour of love, as did the elefante for my godson… but definitely worth the effort.
As is predictably the case, I also have a couple of pairs of socks (or three) on the go. Firstly, there is an almost finished pair of Jaywalkers. I got the soft and squishy Natural Dye Studio Dazzle sock yarn in blossom from Purl City Yarns, and thought it excellent for one specific friend. Several attempts at different patterns later, I settled on Jaywalkers (again). The yarn is so beautiful that it seemed a shame not to see it, and the jaywalker pattern showed it off perfectly.
As can be seen from the picture, they’re so very nearly there! They are still in the same state but will get handed over soon.
For more of a challenge, I thought I’d tackle the Liab cable-rich socks, and use some of my miscellaneous sock yarn. I have a small collection of very bargainous sock yarn which has been collected when on a suitably appealing offer. I’d removed the bands from the balls too, which made trying to work out what they were all the more interesting.
Turns out the yarn is Fortissima Socka shade 1049, and it works really well on this pattern. I enjoyed a pattern which was the full length of the sock, and making it from a 50g ball made such a difference. It meant I could actually make them long enough to fit a friend who I’d previously struggled to knit for. The first one is done, and is with the friend to check fitting.
The final (almost) finished pair are a nice contrast to Liab and Jaywalker. For Liab, I was working on a full pattern across the whole sock, and with jaywalker a 2 row repeat. For the last pair I made Blackrose, from Knitty, which has an 8 row repeat, but just a single pattern section. Rather like the beauty of the NDS yarn used above, I wanted to show off the yarn again in this pair. It’s Violet Green Stellar Sock Yarn (now discontinued) in Harlequin, from the sock club several years ago.
I had to repeat the pattern much more than outlined in the instructions due to my tension, but it has still turned out really well and I’ll put proper pictures up once finished and blocked.
Other projects remain on the go. Two further pairs of socks are on the needles but in hibernation; the effervesce socks of my first post and a made up pair. I’m currently playing with another bargainous find and haven’t definitely settled on a pattern but it’s all good fun. The shawl is still very much a WIP but after initial teething problems I’m enjoying knitting the lacework. It’s over a quarter of the way there but that still leaves a long way to go. Perhaps it will be a perpetual knitting project for a while, but there’s nowt wrong with that.